Benefits of pennyroyal
- Pennyroyal infusion is perfect for relieving digestive problems.
- It serves as a relaxant, expectorant, antimicrobial, and slimming.
- Improves healing.
- It is an antioxidant.
- And appetite stimulant.
Uses of pennyroyal
- Pennyroyal is widely used to relieve pain and stomach problems. The infusion is digestive thanks to its antispasmodic properties, according to this study carried out by the National Research Center (Egypt). Therefore, it contributes to the control of colic and flatulence.
- According to this study by the Federal University of Ceará (Brazil), an infusion of pennyroyal will serve as a relaxant. It is not only a stomach calmer but also a de-stressor. The delicious aroma and flavor of this mint help reduce nervousness. It is perfect for taking it before bed and resting to the fullest.
- According to the research carried out by the Research Center of Barij Essence Pharmaceutical Company (Iran), this infusion is a natural expectorant. It is recommended to clear the airways. Indeed, it helps to disinfect and relieve secretions accumulated in the lungs. Therefore, it is ideal for cases of bronchitis.
- It helps fight colds. It is a great anti-flu and antipyretic ally, helping exudation as it has a slight diaphoretic virtue.
Soothing, antimicrobial, and slimming effects
- One of the most outstanding properties of this infusion is that it is slimming. It is one of the herbs that contain fewer calories. Therefore, it is advisable to take it if you want to lose weight or are on a diet. Of course, without a diet and exercise program, the infusion will not be of much help. There are no miracle cures.
- The plant also serves as a topical application. Thanks to its healing properties, it can be used to clean wounds and cuts, as pointed out in this study by the State University of Santa Cruz (Brazil).
- It has an antifungal function, and its essential oil has antimicrobial action on different strains of bacteria. In infusion and topically, it acts as an antiseptic for the skin.
- Also, it is believed that it helps to calm menstrual pain and fight vaginal infections, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties.
- Traditionally pennyroyal has been used to promote childbirth, expel the placenta, and act as an emmenagogue. That is, as a stimulant of menstruation.
- Given its organoleptic properties, it is confused with other mints that do not have pulegone. But they share this digestive property that helps the expulsion of stomach gases.
How to prepare an infusion of pennyroyal?It is straightforward to prepare an infusion of pennyroyal. First, you should know two ways to prepare it: buying commercial bags or preparing it with natural leaves. This last option is the most recommended to obtain the maximum benefits.
- First, boil water. It can be in a teapot or a pot. It is recommended that the water be drinkable.
- Next, place the infusion bag or 4 or 5 leaves of the plant.
- Then, turn it off and wait about 5 minutes for the temperature to drop so you can savor and enjoy it.
- Finally, add some sugar. However, if you are on a diet, it is best not to add sweeteners.