How do you get pinworms?Pinworms are easily transmitted from people or contaminated surfaces. Studies affirm that the primary contagion vehicle is the eggs depositing this parasite. In general, children’s hands are a common way of transmitting worms. In this case, the so-called anus-hand-mouth cycle is fulfilled; when the child scratches the anal region due to itching, the eggs adhere to the nails and then bring the hands to the mouth. Similarly, any contaminated surface, such as bedding, toys, or soil, can be the transmission route for worms. Humans are usually regular hosts for these parasites and are part of their reproduction cycle. Research suggests that the most common pinworms are:
- Ascaris lumbricoides.
- Enterobius vermicularis.
- Ancylostoma duodenale.
- Necator americanus.
- Trichuris Trichiura.
What are the symptoms?Unfortunately, a large number of infections are asymptomatic. In particular, the affected person has itching around the anus that is generally worse at night. Watch for these symptoms:
- Absence of appetite.
- Abdominal distension.
- Headache, nausea, and dizziness.
- Yellowish face.
- Grinding teeth, especially when sleeping.
- Constipation or diarrhea.
- Intimate infections.
What measures can I take?Once the doctor indicates the appropriate treatment, the worms will go away in about 15 days. However, even if there are no worms, the eggs remain. Therefore, it is recommended to repeat the treatment two weeks later since the possibility of reinfection is very high. Take into account the following :
- You have to keep the nails cut and extreme hygiene in the hands.
- Wash the affected person’s clothes with hot water and clean the home with a disinfectant.
- Daily bathing is essential, especially in the anus area.
- Avoid putting your hands in your mouth.
- Everyone must be treated to prevent reinfection if an infected person is in the family.
Natural remedies to combat wormsIn addition to the measures we mentioned, you can try some natural remedies to help you fight against parasites. However, it should be remembered that these remedies do not have scientific endorsement and will not replace drug treatment under any circumstances.
Garlic, Pumpkin Seeds, and MintAmong garlic’s qualities that stand out is its antiseptic and antibacterial power zinc.
On the other hand, a recent study showed that the consumption of garlic extract helps to reduce the parasite load in some roundworms in mice. In addition, it considerably reduced the liver damage markers generated by these parasites.
- Two cloves of garlic.
- One tablespoon of pumpkin seeds (10 g).
- Three mint leaves.
- Firstly, chop the garlic and put it in a mortar.
- Next, peel the pumpkin seeds and also place them inside.
- In the same way, incorporate mint.
- Crush until a single mixture is formed.
Mint with mineral water
Peppermint also acts as a natural antiseptic that helps to sterilize the body and reduce intestinal worms.
- Mint leaves (10 g).
- Mineral water (150 ml).
- First, bring the mineral water to a boil and add the mint leaves.
- Keep on low heat for 5 minutes to concentrate.
- Remove and let rest for 10 minutes until room temperature.
- Subsequently, strain the infusion.
Drink 1 cup of the remedy a day on an empty stomach. Repeat it for two weeks.
Thyme is one of the plants containing thymol, a substance with antibacterial effects capable of destroying fungi and pests and reducing flatulence and digestive system problems.
- ½ liter of water.
- Two tablespoons of thyme leaves (20 g).
- To start, put the water to boil.
- Then add the thyme leaves.
- Leave on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Wait for it to rest until it is lukewarm.
- Finally, strain and drink on an empty stomach.
It would be best if you did not mix it with other drinks for any reason and avoided sugars and flour. Drink it for a week.
Carrot juice with lemon
Carrots are an excellent ally for digestion since they are fiber-rich. But also its antioxidant properties help purify the body. For its part, lemon provides antifungal benefits that help eliminate foreign substances in the body.
- Carrots (300 g).
- The juice of a lemon (5 ml).
- First, you have to wash and disinfect the ingredients.
- Subsequently, with the help of the extractor, obtain the carrot juice.
- Add the lemon juice.
You must drink the infusion immediately. Repeat the procedure for three days.
Brussels JuiceIt’s time for you to see Brussels sprouts with different eyes. They have a purifying effect, capable of eliminating liquids and bacteria. Which helps keep the digestive system in balance.
- Brussels sprouts (100 g).
- Carrots (100 g).
- Lettuce leaves (100 g).
- First, wash the vegetables and mix them in the extractor.
- Wait a few minutes until a single consistency form.
Drink the juice immediately after preparing it. Repeat the procedure for a week.
Turmeric is a root used to flavor many foods and in traditional medicine to treat various conditions. A study published in 2020 establishes that this plant has in vitro effects against some parasites. It can even be an effective home remedy against multiple worms.
The dose observed in the study was high and exceeded 8 milligrams of turmeric. However, the tea from this root could enhance the effect of drugs and facilitate the elimination of parasites.
- 150 ml of drinking water.
- One teaspoon (10 g) of turmeric powder.
- Boil the water.
- Add the turmeric and stir.
- Let rest between 10 and 15 minutes.
- Drink a maximum of 3 cups a day with meals.
Milk with peppermint
Peppermint, also called black mint, is a herb with medicinal properties that is very useful in intestinal parasitosis. Its combination with milk on an empty stomach eliminates and purifies worms, relieving abdominal discomfort.
- 100 to 150 ml of skimmed milk.
- Ten leaves and five stems of peppermint.
- One teaspoon of honey.
- Boil the milk.
- Add the peppermint and stir.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add honey to sweeten and drink warm.
- Take the remedy 1 hour before breakfast and repeat it after seven days—the maximum in 2 opportunities.
8. Epazote infusion
According to studies, Dysphania ambrosioides, typically known as epazote, is a medicinal plant widely used as an anthelmintic in Latin America and the Caribbean. Epazote infusion helps destroy intestinal worms and reduces the complications of these conditions.
- 250 ml of drinking water.
- One tablespoon of epazote seeds and leaves.
- Boil the water.
- Add the epazote and mix.
- Let stand between 10 and 15 minutes, then strain.
- Drink one time a day.
Rue and papaya seeds
Rue is a medicinal silver rich in flavonoids with anthelmintic, antidiarrheal, anti-inflammatory, and antispasmodic properties. For this reason, it is widely used to alleviate the symptoms of intestinal parasite infections. In addition, its combination with papaya seeds improves the results.
- 150 ml of drinking water.
- One teaspoon of dried rue leaves.
- 1/2 teaspoon of papaya seeds.
- Boil the water.
- Add the rue leaves and papaya seeds, then stir.
- Let stand between 10 and 15 minutes and strain.
- Drink warm a maximum of 1 to 2 times a day.
Prevention is always the best option
Remember that we are all exposed to parasites; the important thing is to prevent or, failing that, seek treatment quickly. These treatments will help you so that worms are not a problem. However, it is always advisable to consult with a specialist in the first place.