Kiwi smoothies are healthy drinks that can be added to almost any meal. In addition to incorporating this nutritious fruit, they contain other beneficial ingredients that contribute to proper nutrition.
On the other hand, they are low in calories and can be prepared for breakfast, as a snack, or when doing physical activity. How to prepare them? In this space, we share five delicious recipes.
Smoothies with kiwi that you must try
Although you can incorporate kiwi into your regular diet, combining it with other ingredients in delicious smoothies is possible. It should be remembered that, besides being a versatile and delicious fruit, kiwi contains essential nutrients for health.
According to information in the European Journal of Nutrition, it provides the following:
- Vitamin C.
- Vitamin E.
- B complex vitamins.
- Dietary fiber.
- Antioxidants include the carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin and, β-carotene, chlorophylls, among others.
1. Kiwi with banana and apple
Research published in Hospital Nutrition highlights that kiwi, in a balanced diet, has been shown to benefit immune function and antioxidant defense.
In addition, it benefits gastrointestinal health and improves mood. What if you combine it with a ripe banana and an apple? Besides enhancing their nutritional qualities, these fruits will have exceptional flavor.
- One ripe banana.
- Three kiwis.
- Three apples, preferably red.
- 1/2 glass of cold milk (100 ml).
- Honey, sweetener, or sugar to add sweetness (to taste).
- To prepare this kiwi smoothie, peel the bananas like the kiwis and cut and core the apples.
- Once you have done this, you must place everything in the blender and mix it very well.
- Serve it cold, and enjoy.
2. Kiwi and spinach
In this recipe, the nutritional properties of kiwi are enhanced with the nutrients provided by spinach. As a study published in Food & Function puts it, spinach contains vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, fiber, and other bioactive compounds that promote health. In addition, it helps fight oxidative stress.
- Two medium kiwis.
- One bunch of fresh spinach (15 g)
- One glass of cold soy milk (200 ml).
- Honey or sweetener to add sweetness (25 g).
- Chia seeds (10 g).
- Peel the kiwis and wash the spinach well.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and process them well until you get a homogeneous consistency.
- If you think that the mixture has become a bit thick, you have to add, little by little, more soy milk until you get the texture you want.
- Serve in a glass, and add a few chia seeds on top.
3. Kiwi, pineapple, orange and coconut
This shake stands out for its significant contribution to vitamin C. This nutrient, as detailed in a publication in the medical journal Advances in Nutrition, plays a vital role in the functions of the immune system, skin health, and the prevention of chronic diseases.
- Two slices of pineapple natural or in syrup.
- Medium kiwi.
- One whole orange
- One teaspoon of grated coconut (10 g).
- 1/2 glass of pineapple juice (100 ml).
- Ice cubes (optional).
- Honey or sugar (optional).
- Peel the orange and kiwi.
- Chop the pineapple slices, the kiwi pulp, and the orange to make processing easier.
- Add all the ingredients, except the coconut, to the blender glass and mix it with water in small amounts until you achieve the consistency you want.
- Strain the mixture you have obtained and add a little sweetness with honey (or sugar, if you prefer).
- Serve it in a glass with some ice cubes, add the tablespoon of grated coconut, and enjoy.
4. Kiwi and cucumber
If you want an option with fewer calories than the previous one, prepare this kiwi cucumber smoothie. Cucumber, as a publication in Phytotherapy magazine suggests, contains water and is low in calories. In addition, it provides antioxidants and has antidiabetic and lipid-lowering potential.
- Medium cucumber (100 g)
- One apple.
- One medium kiwi
- Fresh spinach (15 g)
- The juice of 1/2 lemon.
- Ginger slice.
- Nuts or dried fruit of your preference (optional).
- First, peel the kiwi and wash the spinach well.
- Place all the ingredients, except the nuts, in the blender glass and mix well.
- Once everything is well processed, serve it in a glass and add the nuts of your choice to give it a unique texture.
5. Kiwi and papaya smoothie
The last recipe that we propose is ideal for improving digestion. As we already mentioned, kiwi provides fiber and helps prevent constipation. But, in addition, in this case, papaya provides an enzyme called papain, which can help relieve digestive symptoms such as constipation and bloating.
- Ripe papaya (100 g).
- medium kiwi.
- One glass of water (200 ml)
- ice (optional)
- Peel the papaya, remove its seeds, and cut it into small pieces.
- Next, peel the kiwi and add papaya and the kiwi to the blender.
- Mix everything well while gradually adding the water until you get your desired consistency.
- Add the ice to the blender and make this delicious smoothie as a slushie if you wish.
Considerations when preparing Kiwi smoothies
As you can see, all these shakes make an exciting contribution of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that will maintain your vitality and energy. On the other hand, if you want to make them healthier, you can replace the refined sugar with a bit of honey, stevia, or, even better, do not add any added sweetener.
Remember that these shakes do not replace main meals and are not a treatment for diseases. As healthy recipes, they can be included in the diet to obtain nutrients and contribute to health. Enjoy them!